Sunday, February 14, 2010

Embracing a Natural Hair Journey


I was always a big believer in relaxers, I guess because it made my hair easier to manage. As a child my hair was super thick! So it made sense right? My mom doesn't really know the exact age of my first relaxer but I can estimate that it was around age 9 or 10. Now I never like sitting through the process and majority of the time getting a burned scalp, Lol but I definitely loved how my hair looked after...until breakage.

At one point my hair was severely damage but even through that lesson I had gotten more relaxers, after months of extreme proper hair care I was able to get my hair back to a healthy state and in between I have gotten more realxers.

 Even though it was back at the healthy state my hair seem to never grow past bra strap length (hair touching your bra strap) I would actually go through a vicious cycle of healthy, then damage. My oldest sister Kree decided she would embrace the journey and 2 years or year (not to sure) she is completely natural and her hair is soooo healthy and she has amazing curls (My second oldest sister is going natural as well, and will be cutting out the rest of her relaxed ends next month or so, she almost a year in to transition).

 I thought that by going natural my hair would break off. I sit back and realized that was a myth,  my breakage now and then was due to putting that creamy crack on my head in the first place!

I'm 5 months post creamy crack, and I can see my new growth which is about 1, or 2 inches and I can see my curl pattern and I'm sooo excited! I watch youtube videos, as well as research to see how others transitioned.

Many have asked me are you doing the Big Chop? and for those who are not familiar with that term. Basically it's cutting off your relax ends to your new growth similar to a Slonge look. I am not personally doing the BC. I’m not ready to let go of my hair yet. I want to have more new growth before I do any kind of chop because I will eventually have to. For now im letting my  relax ends grow out and I will cut my ends every so often. Plus I think my head is to damn big for that any way lol..

I am trying transitions styles like Rods, Rollers, Straw Sets, and Braid Outs. I have tried the Braid out and it was a disaster lol ugh! And rollers but umm the next time I’ll try another style I will be sure and blog and post many of pictures good ...or bad lol

But for now I just want to give you a brief background to why I decided to go natural

 

X0x0x,

 Kitty 

0 comments: